1. Do not ever work on projects without a signed agreement.
2. Down payment required.
3. Do not accept work-for-hire terms.
4. Do not accept all rights terms (or buyouts).
5. Do not work on speculation.
6. Refuse contracts that deny the artist the opportunity to negotiate terms.
7. Establish a studio minimum for work.
8. Do not quote estimates on the spot; allow time for reflection.
9. Establish a policy of delaying before signing a contract. No matter how exciting the prospect of the job, set aside an hour to read over the contract, remembering that any agreement must benefit both parties, not just one.